So for the past 3 years I have been a consultant and somehow I was able to get into an MBA program after that experience. Looking back at it I realize that I might have taken the harder route to get in. This includes being denied from all schools my first time applying. So here are some advise for those people who have embarked on a career in consulting or are about to.
- Pay attention to people who write your feedback forms, if somebody writes that well then those are the people you want writing your letter of recommendations.
- As much you want to try everything and do everything try to find a speciality. You want to be known for something because it will give you better materials to write your essays with. When managers talk to you should have a tag associated with you. Be the data person, or the industry expert, or the numbers guy.
- Understand how you get ranked and who are the people on the call. Once you have identified the group of people who like you make sure you stay aligned with them and they will be on your call. It will help when your up for promotion.
- Try to be able to link your projects together by a common theme, it will make essay writing easier.
- Even clients can write letters of recommendation so make sure you consider them as well.
- Do one thing excellently, dont try to do many things good. It makes it diffcult to write essays
- Dont worry if you cant work at a nonprofit, though it seems like it not everybody at a business school works in nonprofits
- Enjoy your time working with the young raw enthusiasm, it wont always be like that.